Prices of cell phone plans are falling. You are likely to find better prices with MVNOs than with the Big Three (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile ). The MVNOs buy data (and minutes) in bulk and then sell it to consumers at a significant discount. MVNOs also offer flexible plans compared to the Big Three.
If you are an Xfinity internet customer, Xfinity Mobile can save you money on your cell phone bill.
What is Good About Xfinity Mobile
Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network. This is the best-shared cell phone plan right now.
- You can buy 1GB for $15, 3 GB for $30 and 10GB for $60.
- You can share the plan with up to 5 people. Each person gets unlimited calling and text. Data is shared.
- If your family doesn’t use a lot of data, 5 people can get cell phone service for $15 or $3 person.
What is Bad About Xfinity Mobile
- You must be an Xfinity internet customer. If you cancel your Xfinity internet, Comcast will add a $20 per line fee.
- Not all phones are compatible but Xfinity has a good choice of phones available. You can bring your own device (BYOD) but limitations exist there as well.
- Data is rounded. So if you go slightly over 1GB of data, expect to pay for the extra GB. Consumers are responsible for managing their own data usage.
What is good about Visible
Visible runs on the Verizon network, which has excellent nationwide coverage
- Unlimited talk, text, and data plans are $25 if you join party pay with 3 other people.
- There are Reddit and Facebook forums where you can join a party or you can start your own party. Each member of the party is only responsible for his or her bill.
What is Bad About Visible
- You need to join with strangers (party pay) to get the best rate
What Is Good About Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile runs on the T-mobile network. All Mint Mobile plans include free calls to Canada and Mexico.
- Unlimited talk + text + 4GB data – $15
- Unlimited talk + text + 10GB data – $20
- Unlimited talk + text + 15GB data – $25
- The introductory offer allows you to buy for 3 months, after that you will have to buy airtime in advance for a year to get the same rate. If you buy in advance for shorter periods (3 months or six months), your rate will be higher.
- After your data runs out, you will get 2G speeds. So you won’t be completely cut out of data after your data plan is used up.
What is Bad About T Mint Mobile
- T-Mobile cell phone coverage is generally ranked behind AT&T and Verizon
- Needs longer-term commitment for the best rate
- Plan cannot be shared with others
What is Good About Tello Mobile
Tello Mobile runs on the Sprint network (now T-Mobile). Calls to Canada, Mexico, China, and Romania are included in all plans
- Unlimited Talk & Text + 1 GB LTE Data – $10/month
- Unlimited Talk & Text + 2 GB LTE Data – $14/month
- Unlimited Talk & Text + 4 GB LTE Data – $19/month
- You will get data at 2G speeds after your data plan runs out.
- Flexible plans for single lines and for the entire family
- If you need an unlimited talk, text, and unlimited data plan, Tello has a $39/month with no contracts.
What is Bad About Tello Mobile
- Sprint (now T-Mobile) has the worst coverage among the three major carriers. Coverage is bad in rural areas
What is Good About Straight Talk Wireless
Straight Talk Wireless uses the AT&T network. AT&T network ranks high in reliability
- Unlimited Talk & Text + 5 GB LTE Data – $35/month
- If you sign up for auto-fill (automatic renewal every month), you will get a $1 discount
- You will get 2G data after your data plan runs out.
What is Bad About Straight Talk Wireless
- Cheaper plans are not available at Straight Talk. Plans start at $35