Precious metals like gold and silver can be part of a diversified IRA portfolio (including Roth IRAs). The prices of precious metals are typically not correlated to the stock market, so you can use it as a hedge against market volatility. Many people are not aware that you can invest in precious metals in your IRA.
To invest your IRA in precious metals, you need an account with an IRA custodian that allows you to buy gold and silver assets. Since precious metals can be stolen, so you need to find a custodian that offers safe storage options.
When it comes to choosing an IRA provider for your precious metal investments Augusta Precious Metals stands head and shoulder above its competition for a few reasons.
Augusta Precious Metals Review
Augusta Precious Metals gets outstanding reviews on BBB, Consumer Affairs, Google Reviews, and Trust Link with hundreds of reviews. Clearly, its customers give it thumbs up.
- BBB – 4.9 out of 5 (100+ reviews)
- Consumer Affairs 4.9 out of 5 (125+ reviews)
- Google Reviews – 4.9 out of 5 (300 reviews)
- Trust Link – 5 stars
Excellent support and education
Many IRA providers are only interested in collecting assets and not in educating their clients. Augusta Precious Metals is different. The company has webinars, educational guides, and 1:1 consultations with its advisers. The advisors don’t pressure you into signing up with them but instead help you understand whether gold and silver investments are good for you. Advisors also help you with many other things including managing your distributions during retirement.
How to invest your IRA funds in precious metals
- Open a self-directed IRA account with Equity Trust (Equity Trust is Augusta’s custodian)
- Roll over your existing IRA funds to Equity trust
- Augusta will invest your funds in gold by purchasing precious coins that are IRA eligible
- Once acquired, your coins/metals will be sent to a secure storage depository.
The minimum investment is $50,000
Augusta charges an annual fee of $20 per year. There is no fee for management.
Services offered by Augusta Precious Metals
- IRA-eligible gold and silver coins
- Storage for precious metals you buy
- Gold buyback program – If your financial situation changes and you need to sell your gold and silver, Augusta’s buy-back program lets you sell the gold and silver back to them. This is convenient because you don’t have to find your own buyer. Remember that you own the gold and silver coins in your account – selling on your own is an option too if that’s what you prefer.
IRA-eligible coins offered by Augusta include
- American Gold Eagles
- American Gold Eagle Proofs
- Canadian Maple Leaves
- Gold Canadian Eagles
- Gold American Buffalo
- Gold Australian Striped Marlin
- American Silver Eagles
- Canadian Silver Eagles
- Canadian Silver Maple Leaf
You can see the full list of IRA-eligible coins on their website.
Tax advantages of investing in precious metals
You can hold precious metals and will not be taxed until you sell them. Investments in precious metals don’t generate income while you hold them and are very tax efficient.
Investing a part of your IRA in precious metals will protect your money from the volatility of the stock market as gold and silver values have a low correlation with the stock market. Having a qualified investment advisor walk you through the options is helpful if you are considering investing in precious metals.